Sunday, April 11, 2010

Update on Things

It has been a while since my last update. I thought I'd take a few minutes to post a Winter 2009/2010 update.

Injury

On 16Nov2009, I managed to sustain a serious injury while biking on a paved greenway. I was coming in way too hot on a hard left-hand turn. The back end washed out and I crashed. I instinctively put my left foot out to try and catch myself, but I was moving too fast. About the only thing I remember from the crash was seeing my left foot up by my left elbow. Ouch! That's what snapped my MCL. The PCL snapped when my upper tibia slammed into the ground as first point of contact.

The orthopedic surgeon decided to let things heal on their own and see how things felt after two months rest and two months of physical therapy. I'm coming up on five months post-injury and things are looking very well. My knee joint is still weak and aches at some point every day, but I'm stable and I have no problem riding as hard as I want.

Cross Country

I'm still enjoying the Niner RIP9. I rode it about 3-4 times a week all Summer and the first part of Fall. The Niner has been the workhorse of my rehab from my knee injury. The first post-injury ride was 01Jan2010. I stuck to gravel roads for two months. On 01Mar2010, I ventured back on single track. I've been on the bike 3-4 times a week since then. Ah how I've missed single track.

Downhill

2009 saw an unprecedented four trips to Snowshoe, WV. The first trip of 2009 was with the Big Hit. The last three trips were on the v-10. When I last blogged about the v-10, I mentioned that I was disappointed with the Reach of the bike. I had done a ton of research and found that the v-10 was about the biggest DH bike they make (without getting a custom frame).

I'm still disappointed and feel a bit out of control on the bike. For someone 6'3" or less, I think it's an amazing bike. The rear travel is endless and super plush. I love bombing down the mountain on that bike. However, as the speed ramps up I begin to lose control. It's like I'm falling off the back of the bike. I've got some thoughts on this and will save them for a later post. Let's just say that I really wish the bike fit me better.

So that brings you up to date with me. Other than the injury, it's just more of the same.

No comments: