Sunday, September 6, 2009

Big Hit Make Over

I built up my Downhill bike last June. It has been to Snowshoe three times and worked great each time. At 6'5", I'm a tall rider and have a hard time finding bikes that fit me well. Although the Big Hit rode really well (and I just love the Monster T fork on that thing), I decided I'd see if I can get a better fitting bike; but more about the new bike later.

On my last trip to Snowshoe (June 2009), I damaged the rear derailleur and bottom bracket. So it was time to give the Big Hit some new parts. Today was the big day for the Big Hit. All of the parts arrived this week and it was time to strip it down and built it from the ground up.

Here it is broken down to just the frame, shock, and headset cups.


The Monster T had started leaking oil recently, so I broke it down, too. Completely dismantled it, replaced the oil seals and dust seals plus I replaced all the oil - nearly a liter (960 ml to be exact).


After a day's work getting everything just right, here's how she looks.


Here's a rundown of the build specs:

  • 2003 Specialized Big Hit, Size Large
  • 2003 Marzocchi Monster T with integrated headset
  • Avid Juicy 3 brakes
  • NEW SRAM X.9 rear derailleur
  • SRAM X.7 shifter
  • Truvativ Hussefelt DH Riser Bar
  • Bontrager Big Earl pedals
  • NEW Panaracer Fire FR rear tire
  • Maxxis Holly Roller front tire
  • Nearly new Truvativ Howitzer XR bottom bracket
  • NEW Truvativ Hussefelt DH cranks with 38t chainring
  • MRP Chainguide (ISCG mounted)
  • Stock Fox Vanilla R rear shock
  • NEW chain
  • NEW 12-23 cassette
My trusted local mechanic has the bike now giving it one last blessing before its off to a new home for the Big Hit. Without a doubt, I'm going to miss that bike.

No comments: