Saturday, June 9, 2007

Moab - Day 5

After last night's disaster, Andrew and I proclaim that we are finished with Moab. We want this trip behind us. Drew is a bit disappointed, but that's because he has a never ending supply of energy and would be perfectly happy to bike back to North Carolina from Utah.

We return the rental bikes and drive back to Denver. It was another drive with stunning views. We make it back to Denver, grab a hotel for the night and catch our flight the next day.

All in all, we were none too impressed with Moab. For me, my expectations of Moab were way off. I was expecting long, fast downhills of single track and jeep trails. We never once rode anything that resembled that. Slickrock was impressive, but being 6'5" tall and renting a bike proved to suck the fun out of the trail. The bike was too small for me and I had a really hard time making the ultra-steep climbs without falling over backwards.

If I were to go again, I would spend more time researching bike rentals or maybe even take my own bike out there. The best thing for me would probably be to get a 29er full suspension bike. Oh, and I'd make sure to lower the saddle this time. For sure, my saddle was way too high for that type of steep riding - and I wasn't able to crouch low to lower my center of gravity.

No comments: