Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Moab - Day 1

Today, I flew out to Denver, CO, to meet up with Andrew Fagan, Pete Villiers, and Drew Foglia to go mountain biking in Moab, Utah. The three of them were in Denver on business and had decided to hit Moab while they were out West. When I heard of their plans back in April, I asked if they wanted another warm body to come along with them. They said yes.

So today, I flew out to Denver. While waiting for my connecting flight in Chicago, I noticed that an earlier flight to Denver was boarding. I registered to fly standby on that flight on the hopes that I could get to Denver a little early. It paid off - I arrived in Denver 90 minutes earlier than I had planned. Unfortunately, my luggage was not so lucky.

The airport was a 30 minute drive from the hotel and we were hoping to drive to Utah first thing in the morning, so I had no choice but to spend the next 90 minutes waiting in the Denver airport for the luggage to arrive. There was a nice (for airport dining) BBQ restaurant in the airport, so I was able to have a relaxing meal while I waited.

After the luggage arrived I took a shuttle to the hotel where the other guys were staying. Since the other guys were still out enjoying the Denver night life with the SAS/Denmark folks, I went to bed early. Drew was nice enough to let me crash that night in his room, so that spared me the cost of room and board the first night.

All in all, the first day of the trip went well. No delays at the airports, and both flights were actually a few minutes ahead of schedule.

No comments: